Monday, October 3, 2011

365 Club: One Month Update

In case you missed this post, there are a bunch of folks here at Miami Hamilton who have all agreed to trying running at least one mile every single day for a year.  We started this project on September 1 and I thought I'd give you all a bit of a one month check-in so you can see how things are progressing. 

The first thing to note is that we have doubled the number of participants from 11 to 22... Although that number has shrunk with people who have dropped out.  Here's the list I have now:

My own experience has been pretty good.  I was experiencing some ankle pain during the first week or so, but I got new running shoes and the pain is almost completely gone.  I was also sick for a couple days in early September but I sucked it up and ran anyway.  The most miles I ran in one day was 5.50 (pretty early on), and I ran the absolute minimum of 1 on several days as well. Here's my official report from Garmin Connect (I have a fancy GPS watch that sends all of my running data to my account online):


The number I like best is at the bottom - I've burned 5,295 calories!  But it took me 8 hours.  Phew.  Makes me tired to think about it.

What I like most about running a mile a day is knowing that I'm at least doing something to be healthier every day.  What I don't like about it (besides that it's annoying sometimes to squeeze it in) is that I sometimes settle for only doing a mile when I know I could do more. But I've made it a goal to run at least three miles at least once a week this month. 

As for the rest of the 365 Club, I sent out an e-mail last week to gauge progress and it's as I expected - some folks have dropped it completely, some are going strong, and some have "modified" the rules to work for them.
 
I've heard back from 9 of 22 people who are still going strong, not missing any days except for the allotted sick days.  Those people include:  myself, Teresa, James G., Sue, Chris, Bob, Mark, Daniel and Suzanne.  Stephanie has modified the rules slightly to fit her lifestyle (the girl does two-hour spin classes at the YMCA .... running on top of that is crazy!).  I have heard officially of two people dropping it completely and I am assuming that another couple of folks have dropped as well. 

Overall, I think we're on the right track.  The people who have stuck with it have said that the miles are getting easier and easier.   We're planning a 50 day celebration in a few weeks.  I'll be back with another update at the end of October.  For now, we are:  one month down, eleven to go!  Wish us luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment